One of the major changes introduced in EA SPORTS FC 24 this year is the debut of PlayStyles and PlayStyles+, a revamp of the former trait system.
PlayStyles have been introduced to enhance the authenticity and individuality of players within the game. Every player carries more than just a face and a name now; they come with a unique essence that defines how they move, react, and dominate on the virtual pitch
Their introduction brings a new dimension to gameplay, offering in-game perks and drastically impacting game modes such as Career Mode, Ultimate Team, and Clubs. Curious to know more? Then delve into the details on what PlayStyles are and how they work below.
What Are PlayStyles?
PlayStyles are designed to dimensionalize athletes by interpreting real-world player data from sources like Opta into signature abilities, thereby heightening the realism and individuality of each player in the game. These signature abilities mirror the real-life capabilities of players, allowing gamers to create stronger squads by understanding how players actually play on the pitch.
Players may have several PlayStyles assigned to them, but they usually have only one PlayStyle+ that significantly improves their gameplay
There are two tiers of PlayStyles: regular PlayStyles and PlayStyles+. The former are signature abilities that make players unique on the pitch, while PlayStyles+ are elevated versions of these abilities reserved for world-class players, taking a given PlayStyle from special to spectacular.
How Many PlayStyles Are in FC 24?
There are 34 different PlayStyles, and each one has a boosted PlayStyle+ version in EA SPORTS FC 24. All of them are tied to 6 aspects of gameplay: Scoring, Passing, Ball Control, Defending, Physical, and Goalkeeping.
What are the Effects of PlayStyles in FC 24?
Each PlayStyle comes with a unique gameplay function aimed to improve a specific skill area of a player in-game. Here is what every available PlayStyle does in FC 24 split in the 6 gameplay areas mentioned above:
Power Shot – Performs quicker, faster power shots.
- Reduced time to contact with ball for Power Shots
- Increased ball travel speed for Power Shots
- Power Shot+: Lower elevation for high-powered Power Shots
Dead Ball – Delivers swifter, more accurate set pieces with longer preview lines.
- Longer preview line for free kicks and corners
- Increased curve for free kicks and corners
- Increased shot power for free kicks and corners
- Increased accuracy for free kicks and corners
Chip Shot – Executes quicker, more accurate chip shots.
- Increased accuracy for Chip Shots
- Reduced time to contact with ball for Chip Shots
- More driven arc trajectories, allowing for higher powered Chip Shots to remain on target
Finesse Shot – Performs quicker, more accurate finesse shots with added curve.
- Increased accuracy for Finesse Shots
- Reduced time to contact with ball for Finesse Shots
- Higher powered Finesse Shots are less likely to go over the goal
Power Header – Performs headers with increased power and accuracy.
- Increased ball speed on Headers
- Increased accuracy for Headers
- Higher powered Headers are less likely to go over the target
- Unique powerful Header animations
Incisive Pass – Through Passes are more accurate, swerve passes have more curve, and Precision Passes are slightly faster.
- Reduced time to contact with ball for Through Passes
- Increased ball backspin to be easier to control for the receiver and avoid over hitting the pass location
- Increase to accuracy of Through Passes
- Incisive Pass+: Pass trajectories are more likely to avoid opposition players
Pinged Pass – Passes on the ground are faster without affecting receiver’s trapping ease.
- Increased speed for non-first time Ground Passes
- Increased pass quality, allowing pass receiver to have increased ball trapping control
- Increased accuracy on Driven Passes
- Reduced time to contact with ball for driven Ground Passes
Long Ball Pass – Lob and Lofted Through Passes are quicker, more accurate, and harder to intercept.
- Reduced time to contact with ball for Lob Passes
- Increased ball speed for Lob Passes
- Increased accuracy on Lob Passes
- Lob Pass height can result in a lower and faster trajectory if the path is clear
- Long Ball Pass+: Increased driven trajectory for Lobbed Through Passes
Tiki Taka – Executes tricky first-time Ground Passes accurately, using backheels when suitable. Short Ground Passes are very accurate.
- Increased accuracy for short Ground Passes
- Contextual backheel animations if beneficial
- Reduced time to contact with ball for Ground Passes
- Increased pass quality allowing pass receiver to have increased ball trapping control
Whipped Pass – Crosses are quicker, more curved, and highly accurate.
- Reduced time to contact with ball for crosses
- Increased ball speed for crosses
- Increased accuracy for crosses
- Increased curve for crosses
- Crosses have a more driven trajectory
- Whipped Pass+: Reduced cross height
First Touch – Traps ball with less error, transitions to dribbling quicker with better control.
- Increase ability to control when receiving the ball
- Unique ball trapping animations
Flair – Executes fancy passes and shots more accurately, performing flair animations when suitable.
- Access to unique flair animations
- Increased accuracy with flair actions
Press Proven – Maintains ball control while jogging, shields ball effectively against stronger opponents.
- Increase to Strength while shielding
- Increased accuracy for off balance ball touches
- Increased shield effectiveness with the ball
- Faster shield dribbling animations
- Increased controlled touches when dribbling
Rapid – Achieves higher dribbling sprint speed with lower error chance in sprinting or knock-ons.
- Able to retain top speed for longer while sprint dribbling
- Increased accuracy on knock ons and sprint dribbling
- Reduced time to contact the ball when sprint dribbling
Technical – Attains higher speed in Controlled Sprint, executes wide dribbling turns more precisely.
- Reduced time to contact the ball on Jog dribbling turns
- Increased max Controlled Sprint speed R1 || RB
- Increased awareness of players in their immediate surroundings
- Increased accuracy on Controlled Sprint R1 || RB
- Reduced time to contact the ball when Controlled Sprinting R1 || RB
Trickster – Enables execution of unique ground and flick Skill Moves.
- Unique ball rolls from standing position with L2 + R2 || LT + RT
- Unique flicks with R3 + LS in any direction
- Trickster+: Unique flicks with L2 + R3 + LS || LT + R3 + LS in any direction
- Trickster+: Increase animation speed of Strafe Dribbling L1 + LS || LB + LS
- Trickster+: Unique Flair animation with L2 + Fake Shot || LT + Fake Shot while standing
Block – Enhanced block reach and success rate.
- Increased user controlled player blocking distance
- Increased distance for close manually requested blocks
- Reduced time to contact for manually requested blocks
Bruiser – Greater strength when performing physical tackles.
- Increased physicality when performing physical challenges
Intercept – Enhanced reach and retention chance during interceptions.
- Increased ball control when intercepting
- Ability to perform slide interceptions
Jockey – Higher Sprint Jockey speed and quicker transition from jockey to sprint.
- Increased Sprint Jockey max speed
- Increase transition speed from Sprint Jockey to Sprint
Slide Tackle – Grants the ability to stop the ball directly at their feet when performing a slide tackle.
- New Stop Ball Slide Tackles that aim to keep the ball close to the tackler
- Slide Tackle+: Contextually use hard slide animations when using regular slide tackle for improved responsiveness
Anticipate – Better standing tackle success, ability to halt ball at feet during standing tackles.
- New Stop Ball Stand Tackles that aim to keep the ball close to the tackler
- Increased tackle accuracy
- Increased the max distance the ball can travel following a tackle
Actobatic – Executes more accurate volleys, and has access to more acrobatic volley animations.
- Unique acrobatic kick animations
- Increased accuracy for acrobatic kicks
Aerial – Jumps higher with better aerial physical presence.
- Unique higher jumping animations
- Increase max running jump height to be closer to max stand jump height
- Increased accuracy and capability when performing an Air Shield Trap
Trivela – Triggers “outside of the foot” passes and shots with less error when appropriate.
- Contextual Trivela kicks when beneficial
- Increased accuracy on Trivela passes
- Unique high power and high curve trajectory animations
Relentless – Lowers fatigue loss in-play, boosts half-time fatigue recovery.
- Increased halftime stamina replenishment
- Reduced Secondary Contain cooldown
- Increased Secondary Contain duration
- Reduced Partial Team Press cooldown
- Increased Partial Team Press duration
Quickstep – Accelerates faster during Explosive Sprint.
- Increased Explosive Sprint speed
- Reduced Explosive Sprint activation angle requirement
- Quick Step+: Increased Explosive Sprint duration
- Quick Step+: Reduced Explosive Sprint cooldown
- Quick Step+: Increases the transition time from Explosive Sprint speed to regular sprint speed
Long Throw – Performs throw-ins with increased power to cover a greater distance.
Far Throw – GK can target players further away with thrown passes.
- BAG (Be A Goalkeeper) players will have better reach and handling as match ends.
Footwork – GK will perform saves with their feet more frequently.
- BAG players will have increased reactions and speed in 1-on-1 situations.
Cross Claimer – GK will try to anticipate and intercept a cross.
- BAG players will have increased reflexes and reactions during set pieces.
Rush Out – GK is more aggressive in exiting the box to collect over-the-top or long through balls.
- BAG players will have increased speed when running.
Far Reach – BAG players save outside-box shots better with enhanced reach and jumping.
Quick Reflexes – BAG exhibit sharper reflexes for inside-box shot saves.
The specialized PlayStyles for goalkeepers are restricted and can only be utilized within the Be A Goalkeeper modes, such as Player Career or Clubs. When playing outside these specified modes, goalkeepers exhibit CPU AI behavior effects similar to the old Traits System. Additionally, goalkeepers are granted the ability to access certain outfield PlayStyles.
🆕 PlayStyles is a brand-new feature in #EAFC24 that brings to life the on-pitch abilities that make players special. ⚽
— Helmar Designs 🌷 (@HelmarDesigns) July 19, 2023
PlayStyles significantly enhances the gameplay experience by ensuring that the in-game avatars of real-world players reflect their actual capabilities and play styles, thus bringing a more authentic and engaging football experience to players.